Sunday, November 14, 2010

Proxy Service Experiences: Goody Japan

I always tried to keep away from using proxy services. It all looked far too complicated and too expensive. Some weeks ago I gave in. Curse all the interesting Doujinshi releases from Comiket 78.

For those of you who don´t know what a proxy service is/does:
In short it is a middleman (company) which will help you to buy goods you wouldn´t be able to buy by yourself. It is mostly used for shopping on yahoo.jp I guess.

However I used it for buying some Doujinshis from Toranoana and Melonbooks.

The proxy I decided to choose is Goody Japan.
Why did I choose them?
The site looked easier to navigate through as for example shopping mall japan ones. I also heared good things about their service and that they aren´t overpriced.

The procedure:
1. Ordered doujinshis through the form on their homepage. At the very moment you do that you will have to pay the goods worth with paypal. (They only process your order when you paid.)
The rest of the cost (Bankwire fee, domestic shipping, commission and international shipping) is to be paid when the goods are ready to be shipped to you.
2. One day after I ordered and paid I got a confirmation mail which declares that they ordered the goods for me.
3. Waited about 2 weeks, then I decided to ask about when the items will arrive at their office. Got a reply two days later which said they will be ready soon.
4. Three more days waiting and I got my final bill. After payment the goods shipped on the next day.


What I liked about them:
+ Good service, they always replied in an accurate time to my mails
+ I like their system of payment; first pay for the goods and then a seperate bill for the other expenses. That splits up the cost and, for me, make payment easier.

What I didn´t like so much:
- I had to wait over two weeks for the goods to arrive at their warehouse; I don´t think domestic shipping really takes that long
- The commission, but thats something every proxy has :(

I guess the next time I need some Japan-only goods I will use them again.


And now my statement of costs:

Doujinshis from Toranoana:         9.490Yen
Doujinshis from Melonbooks:      3.445Yen
Sum Goods (13 books):            12.935Yen (115€/157USD)

Bankwire fee:                            300 +300Yen
Domestic shipping:                    600 +625Yen
Commission:                          1.424 +750Yen
Sum Service:                                         3.899Yen (35€/48USD)

Doujinshis+service:                   16.834Yen (150€)
International shipping (SAL)       1.980Yen
Total sum                                18.814Yen

So what I paid through paypal for everything together were 170€ (~233USD) @.@
I shouldn´t think about it too much. Doujinshis are far too expensive >.<

I am currently thinking about reviewing the one or other of the books. However some family issue will consume some of my few time, so please be patient.

7 comments:

  1. You gave in and tried out a deputy shopping service? Oh, the temptations. :) It's those fees that really raise the final price on what normally might be a cheap book. I picked up the Ignition book, too. Do you have one doujinshi out of all of them that is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ffancy, sorry for the late reply^^

    Yes, it´s the fees that kills it. Without them everything would be so much cheaper.
    The Ignition book is really nice, and it doesn´t feel like waisted money because the book has enough pages to be worth it, in contrast to those other 16 page doujins.

    hmm..favourite..I really like the "COLORS Gekka Saboh Artworks 2000-2010" one. It has Kaya Kuramoto and about 55 pages. I wanted it because I read the review of it on nattoli.net. (http://www.nattoli.net/entry/221/colors-gekka-saboh-artworks-2000-2010)

    And those two Touhou Illustrations from Sayori are pretty nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the procedures on how to use the proxy service! I will also try to order some Japanese goods because I think I will save more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep i know the feeling when you have to not think about the shitload youve just spent. ive used Japamart NEVER EVER EVER EVER go with them. Please. They overcharge on everything including shipping. bunch of money grabbing scumbags they are

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, ok. Thanks for the warning. I won´t use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well comission is how they earn their money, otherwise they are doing it for free.

    That said, they could do deals like set price for bidding on a set of auctions from the same seller. There used to be one deputy service which was better value than even Goody Japan but they since ceased.

    ReplyDelete